Monday, July 7, 2008

A little about Mii

Meet my new best friend, we share the same name, hair color, eye color and cute button nose...ok maybe I've gone too far, but anyways, here she is...meet my Mii

Seriously, the only new additions to my flat in the week I've been here are my new flat screen tv and a wii.  Upon their much awaited Saturday delivery (yes, stores deliver just about anything right to your doorstep!) I immediately put on my "handy" hat and assembled my tv and wii and they actually worked!  Unfortunately, as soon as I had created my Mii it was time to go meet Mike and Andrea (co-worker, wife and the two wheels to my third) to go to a good 'ol American Independence Day picnic.  We all had high hopes, I think I somehow thought I would walk up and there would be a big flashing lightbulb sign above my head saying "I've just arrived from America" and all of the people there would flock to get to know me...so not the case! This meeting people thing is going to be tougher than I thought!  Anyways, we quickly decided the picnic (if you can call bringing your own aluminum foil "grill" setting it on top of two empty beer cans and lighting a fire under it a picnic) was a bust.  So we decided to head back to our restaurant of choice from the previous night and see if there was less than a two hour wait this time around.  So there we were, at Wahaca...think Mexico City street tacos and to all of our much needed surprise the margarita's were good, no, they actually were some of the best I've had...ever!  Don't worry, i'll take anyone who visits me there...tempting, I know.

Well, so much has happened in the past week...yet, I still somehow feel like I've accomplished nothing at all!  So I'll just highlight a few tidbits below...
  • UK beds are NOT the same size as American beds...3 sets of yummy, soft sheets wasted!
  • i have seen a grotesque amount of popped collars...seriously guys??
  • the milk tastes different, not bad,  just different
  • not only do Brits drive on the left they also walk on the left....i keep running into people
  • i have had my first and last mojito here...dark rum people, try again.
  • they have TJ Maxx! well it is TK Maxx here, same thing although more cluttered and even less organized, if you can believe it
  • movie theatres have assigned seating. interesting concept, makes sense i guess
  • apparently "UK Lauren" is environmentally conscious...i am now the proud owner of a big reusable grocery bag
  • they don't have plugs in the bathroom so i dry my hair in the hallway...where was the common sense inspector on that one
  • did i mention you can order just about anything online and they'll deliver it to your door next day!
  • MTV is just now getting around to playing Newlyweds and the Hills...two tragic endings I don't know if I can keep to myself much longer!
  • and finally, news from the other side of the pond...a hooker named Foxy Lady wanted to buy my car, but apparently my ride wasn't suitable for her to turn her tricks in so it's still on the market people...tell your friends, but not your hooker friends
I'll report back soon with more observations, that's all I can offer right now!

4 comments:

Lindsay Wagner said...

hysterical!!! i am quite in shock that Foxy Lady fell through.....interesting. LOVE that you posted on your blog...i've been checking!!!

Anonymous said...

Yep! things are a little different over there...guess that's why it's called a foreign country! (Don't get yourself run over!) I can't believe you are drying your hair in the hallway...guess you will have to hang a mirror! Miss you tons...it helps to read your blog.
Keep writing!
PS: I like your new friend Mii. She looks like one who will keep you out of trouble!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oh Lauren! That is too funny. Foxy Lady, really? I've heard about the assigned movie seat thing and think it's the best idea ever. Love it.

Has your stuff already arrived?

Miss you!