Monday, March 16, 2009

I finally did it

After what seems like months of waiting, I finally moved into my new flat this weekend! I would like to say that I am fully unpacked, but that is hardly the case! There are still unopened boxes everywhere! I only opened the necessities...toiletries, bedding, a few clothes, etc. This is mostly due to the fact that before Kelly and Simon left for Dubai last week she gave me Twilight and told me that I HAD to read it. I have been avoiding this book for a while, for several reasons. First and foremost, I have had an irrational fear of vampires since I was little. I'm not sure if I saw Buffy (the movie, not the TV series) at too young an age or what, but I have always been afraid of them, still to this day. So as a general rule, I try to avoid all things vampire...TV shows, movies, books, caves, you get the drift. Secondly, I also try to avoid cult-ish behaviour, maybe David Koresh scarred me as a child. Thirdly, I have never been into "fantasy" movies or books, I have never seen or read Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. So for all of these reasons, Twilight fell into the "avoid at all costs" category. Well, Kelly assured me that Twilight was not scary, that these were good vampires that didn't hunt humans, only animals, and that I would love it. So after much coaxing I admitted defeat and started reading Twilight on the tube on my way to work last Thursday morning. BAD IDEA. Why you ask, b/c after only 20 minutes of reading this book on the tube, I almost didn't want to get out at my tube stop. I considered taking a "long lunch" and sneaking away to some corner and reading for a hour, but most importantly I only had one more day left to pack before the movers came. Luckily I got the packing all done, but with only 3 hours left for sleep Friday night. Kelly was wrong, the book did scare me a little and of course the scary part came right when I was about to put the book down and go to bed Friday night, but I couldn't put it down at a scary part for obvious reasons, so I had to push on for a bit longer until it got to a happier time! I got all moved Saturday morning and went out to buy a few groceries, and low and behold I passed a bookstore. I realized that I was already dangerously close to finishing Twilight and I couldn't possibly run the chance of finishing the book that night after the bookstores closed without having the next book in the series, New Moon, in hand. So I entered the bookstore, and exited only a few minutes later with all three books from the rest of the series and I ginormous Toblerone in hand (hey, it was 50% off!) I am already half way through New Moon, oh the shame.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just finished it too!! Awww, so good. Now, on to New Moon.

Christina said...

Yay! You're in your new place. Can't wait to see pictures. xoxo