Thursday, May 28, 2009

Things That Can't Be Captured in Photographs

I am having a bit of trouble locating my USB wire that connects my camera to my computer, therefore I haven't been able to download my pics from Istanbul yet. Conveniently, there are MANY things about Istanbul that cannot possibly be captured by a camera so I will share some of those things with you until I find my wire and download my pictures. In no particular order, the good, the bad and the ugly...

  • The sound of the call to prayer echoing throughout the city 5 times a day - AMAZING
  • The smell of honeysuckle growing in the tea gardens - fantastic
  • The constant smell of B.O. lingering through the entire city - not so fantastic
  • The smell of the hookah as you pass tea gardens and coffee shops - pretty delightful
  • Being called "Lady" by about 1,000 people a day - very annoying
  • Being scrubbed down by a fat naked Turkish lady in the Hammam - surprisingly awesome
  • Being called "Dirty Dirty Girl" by the fat naked Turkish lady who scrubbed me down - slightly embarrassing (in my defense I had gotten a sunburn so when she exfoliated me a lot of dead skin came off...)
  • Dancing in the streets to live music with crazy Turkish men until the sun came up - Insanely fun!
  • Being in a city that straddles two Continents - so cool
  • The taste of fresh Baklava - Delicious
  • The sound of the Turkish flute - awesome
  • The taste of Elma Cay, Turkish Apple Tea - Yummy
  • Having every man stare you down without any shame - Rude
  • Sticking out like a sore thumb and being called Paris Hilton too many times to count - annoying - I am dying my hair next time!
  • Having the chance to watch prayer taking place in a Mosque - pretty cool...I have a video, I'll try and download
  • Eating Kebab for every meal - yummy
  • Getting sick on the plane ride home - not fun

2 comments:

Bubbie said...

I can't wait for the pictures. Your trip sounds like quite an experience!!!

Courtney Squillante said...

Wow! Everything sounds just incredible! Can't wait to hear more, Dirty Dirty Girl! :)