Tuesday, April 21, 2009

NOW the weather gets nice...figures!

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about having nice weather, it just figures that the sun would decide to come out now! Courtney and Melissa were in London all of last week visiting me and it rained the whole time they were here, so sad! Most people associate rain with London so they weren't too disappointed, but I was, London is such a different place when the sun is shining! As I thought, as soon as they left for the airport the sun was back out in full effect and I haven't seen a cloud since Saturday morning. Despite the rain, we had a fantastic week and had so much fun hanging out and catching up. We even spent all last Saturday on the couch in our pajamas watching TV...just like the old days back at 2404 Jaguar Court! I'll do another post on their visit once I get some pics from them, I didn't take any on my camera! I originally planned on going to the airport with them at 5:30 AM on Saturday so I could keep Melissa company since her flight left and hour and a half after Courtney's. However, when 5 AM rolled around, I was feeling slightly less selfless so I made a trade! I can't believe it, but I actually convinced Melissa to read Twilight while she was here. She had only made it half way through the book by the end of the trip and was trying to get me to give up my copy, well Kelly's copy that she lent to me. I was not at liberty to give away someone else's book...however, my feelings were easily swayed come 5 AM! So I sent them off to the airport, Twilight in hand, and went back to sleep until almost 1PM! I needed my rest, I love having visitors, but it really takes it out of you.

Sunday I awoke to another beautiful day! I had plans to meet Christine and Francis at Chili's for a much needed American food fix, so I made the trek out to Canary Wharf for lunch. It really probably is a good thing that the only Chili's in London is an hour away from my flat, that could be dangerous if it was any closer. After lunch I headed over to Annie's, we had a date to go shopping for hiking boots. Not my typical shoe shopping adventure, but I'm sure it was quite entertaining for the sales guys, or probably more annoying than anything else. It took us a while to get over the aesthetics of the shoes and stop asking to try on the "cute" ones and actually try the ones he was recommending. Annie and I are climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in January so we needed to find some "serious hiking boots." Annie requested ones with trampolines on the bottom that could bounce her up to the top. They don't make those. We finally found some boots that didn't turn out to be too hideously ugly and they are super comfy...now we just have to break them in. There are some mountains up in Northern England and Scotland that we can practice on, that makes me a little nervous, but I suppose I probably shouldn't just show up at the bottom of the highest peak in Africa in January and expect to be able to march myself to the top without a little practice. I've been doing the stair stepper at the gym, but something tells me that isn't going to cut it alone! So we decided to strap our new boots on and walk across London, although we got a little distracted and stopped in for some dinner and then dinner turned into a movie. I've got a lot of practice ahead of me to get this whole "outdoorsy" thing down!

No comments: