Monday, July 5, 2010

It Has Come And Gone

as quickly and quietly as ever...my two years in London is up.  July 1st marked my two year anniversary in London.  I still remember exactly what I wore, what it felt like pulling up to my flat in the cab, what I ate (Bodeans!) that first day.  What an amazing two years I have had.  I came to London full of hope for the future, I knew I would love it and that I would make the best of whatever it would throw at me, that's just how I do things.  I came to London because I knew I would always regret not coming, but I was pretty sure that I would never regret coming.  But what I didn't know then, and possibly didn't even expect, is how happy I would be here.  That I was about to make a life for myself here, not just a temporary existence, but a real life with real friends.  It still surprises me sometimes how settled I feel here, everyday life feels like just that...but still with a little something extra!  I know a big part of my happiness has to do with the friends I have made here, but a huge part also has to do with London, I have totally fallen in love with this city.  I love Londons character, the charm and curb appeal of West London, the raw edge and people watching of East London. Every neighborhood has it's own identity, if you take a walk across London (which I often do) you can not only see the change, but you can feel it too.  The music blaring out of the bars begins to change, the people change, the architecture changes...just when you start to vibe on your new setting. It changes all over again.  I love it.  I love a lazy weekend as much as the next, but it's hard to do that here.  There are countless markets to discover, festivals to enjoy...music, sports, food... In the past couple of months I have my weekends have consisted of polo matches, horse races, rooftop BBQs, Pearl Jam and Paul McCartney in Hyde Park, boozy brunches, picnics, World Cup watching with people from all over the world.  The list goes on...you would have to make a serious effort to be bored here! 

Before you get too worried Mom...no I'm not staying here forever!  But rest easy at night, I am happy!

No comments: