Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Best Night of my Life....

Yes people...it has happened, the best night of my life!  Okay, so maybe that is a bit over dramatic.  It all started one february afternoon while I was at work and I was listening to my favorite band, Blue October, on my ipod.  They had made there very first trip overseas last year, so I thought I'd check out their tour schedule to see if they were coming back to London anytime soon.  They weren't, but there WERE going to be in Germany in just a mere two weeks!! They were playing on a Sunday night in Munich, which happens to be one of my favorite cities.  So what is a girl to do but book herself a 24 hour trip to Germany!  One EasyJet ticket, hostel booking and VIP concert ticket later I was going to see my boys in Munich!

 I landed in Munich around 10 am on Sunday morning, I had already seen most of Munich since I've been twice before so I headed to my hostel to drop off my bag and headed in to find somewhere good to eat.  Something weird happened...I was totally scared to go in anywhere and eat by myself!  This is so weird for me, after years of travelling for work I am very accustomed to eating by myself, I do it all the time in London.  In fact, I even prefer to go to the movies by myself...at least once a week.  Why now, I am going to assume it was the fact that I don't speak a lick of German.  So anyways, after trying to gather the courage at least 4 times, I finally settled on a Twix bar from a vending machine and a nap at the hostel since I had woken up at 4 am to catch my flight to Germany.

As you read before, I ponied up and bought the VIP ticket since it had a "meet and greet" with the band. Obviously.  I had visions of them immediately befriending me as soon as they heard my Texas accent in a foreign land, so clearly I had to go to the "meet and greet".  Well all of a sudden when I was waiting for the U-bahn I got this giant pit in my stomach, I was so nervous!  I suddenly realized that they would be the first "famous" people I had ever possibly conversed with, I was terrified, what would I say to them???  So I walked myself over to a bar and got myself a tall beer and called Annie for some confidence!  The beer calmed my nerves a little, by the time I showed up to the venue there was already a line of about 50 Germans waiting to get their posters signed...who brings posters?? not me, I didn't bring anything to get signed.  Darn the luck.  My big moment was quickly approaching, but I started to notice they weren't really talking to anyone, they were just hurridly signing the posters and feeding people through the lines...what?!?! How was I going to make my everlasting impression??  When it was my turn, I got to take a picture with them so I approached them with my best "Hi Y'all" hoping they would hear my Texas drawl and the rest would be history. Epic Fail.  But here is the picture...I look as giddy as a fat kid with cake and they look like they'd rather die than be standing there taking this picture.

While waiting in line I met a lovely Austrian girl named Daniela, she was still in high school and had lied to her parents and taken a train to Germany to come to the concert!  Had no idea that they had so many Germany fans!  After my picture, we were all basically kicked out of the concert venue to wait outside in the cold until the show started.  I was so annoyed!! The venue was in the middle of nowhere so we just had to sit there for 2 hours.  I was starting to rethink my whole decision as I saw my image of how this was all going to go down slipping through my fingers.  They finally let us back in and Daniela and I got a prime spot right at the front.  Before the show started I went to go get a beer and passed by the merchandise table when I had the sudden realization that the merchandise guy was probably from Texas too, so I stopped by and sure enough he was! So I chatted with Dave (the merch guy) for a while, it was nice to find another Texan in the crowd of Germans.  Once the opening band went of I went back to my spot with Daniela and we enjoyed the show, they were amazing as always, Justin is always one for the theatrics :)


Towards the end of the show, I went back to the bar to get another beer and I passed by my friend Dave again and offered to buy him a beer, which he accepted.  I came back with our beers and stayed back with him the rest of the show while we drank and chatted.  He told me the band was coming back there after the show to sign more autographs, so you know I hung around.  After everyone had cleared out a bit I bought the band Jaeger shots, since Dave tipped me off that they are Justin's favorite (mine too!) and the rest is history!!! They invited me to come back to their tour bus and hang out...not lying....I hung out in Blue October's tour bus with the band until about 4 am.  Best. Night. Of. My. Life.

They are actually all amazingly nice, cool, laid back guys.  I did have to leave for the airport in a mere 3 hours and go straight to work so I managed to make myself go back to the hostel at 4 am (what was I thinking, I should have gone straight to the airport from the tour bus!)  My new friend Dave was so sweet and walked me back to the train stop (I miss Texas boys for this very reason...covered in tattoos but still a southern gentleman!)  So I now have the email address and phone number of Blue Octobers Merch manager, saving that one for sure!  He emailed me the next day to tell me it was good to meet me at the show and that he hoped I had fun on the bus and to let me know next time I come to a show...you bet I am Dave, see you soon!!

Me and Dave

5 comments:

Christina said...

That is CRAZY!! Loved your attempt at a big HI YA'LL...

Kelly said...

That is awesome! SO jealous, but what a great experience! You and Tattoo Dave look good together - wink. wink.

ryeager said...

I can not tell you how funny this is because when we went to go see them in Boston we (by we, please read Todd) too befriended Dave and got to meet Blue O. Todd was a giddy school girl. But nothing as exciting as you.

Sarah said...

Wow!! I'm so jealous! What a cool night!

Kelly said...

Love that you went by yourself to Munich but then chickened out at the thought of eating by yourself. Seems ironic:)