Friday, September 26, 2008

Prost!




I didn't know what to title this entry, it could have been and array of things. Among them, just plain "Beer, Beer, Beer" or maybe "Men in tight suede pants" or "Holy Lederhosen" or "Wurst Hangover" but I'll just stick with "Prost" it is the German equivalent to the rest of the world's "Cheers", but don't forget to look your drinking buddy in the eyes. Or it's 7 years bad luck, and I'm not talking the kind you get when you break a mirror or cross a black cats path.

Oktoberfest was a success, I had countless beers ( I say countless b/c they are all served in Liter glasses and have well over 5% alcohol so I can't really relate that back to a specific number of Miller Lites I might have had at a similar event in Texas), ate a few too many different types of wurst (that's sausage for those of you who don't speak fluent German like me), tried veinna schnitzel (while trying not to think too much about my aunt's old dachsund Schnitzel), ate pretzels larger than my head and found out I do in fact like mustard!
The Notorious Eisbock, 12%


Munich is actually one of my favorite cities hands down. I loved it 5 years ago when I went after my study abroad trip and I enjoyed it just as much this time. And I'm not just talking about enjoying my alcohol enduced experiences, although the city never seems to fail me on those. Munich is great, they have beautiful, interesting architecture, the freindliest people I have come across, tons of history, great shopping, ok...and great food and beer!



The New Town Hall

So the actual Oktoberfest was quite an experience, I don't know if I was all together prepared or knew what to expect. It blew any expectations I had out of the water though. At least in sheer size and scale alone. When they said beer tents I was thinking a bunch of tailgating tents propped up in a field 'a la' Chilifest. Or maybe if this thing was as big as I'd heard some of those huge white tents people rent for Weddings. Ha! These "tents" had wooden floors, balconys with seating, a huge kitchen, and actual bathrooms with plumbing...and held between 5-10 thousand people each. And I'm not talking standing room only, they had tables and benches for that many. Although, by the end of the night everyone was standing on their tables dancing to the music.

A "Tent"


Inside the "Tent" (this is just one half)


Amy and I went to the tents on Monday to meet her Aunt and Uncle (Molly and Kevin=hilarious). They were fully dressed in Lederhosen and Dirndl and I knew it was going to be a good day! We got to the tents around 11 and actually found a seat in the Paulaner tent right by the band. Another sign it was going to be a good day. By noon the entire tent was packed and Liter beers and roasted chickens were being served by the thousands. By about 7 pm all of the families had left and been replaced by the serious drinkers. The band was in full swing and we were on top of the benches. By 10 pm there was and inch of beer on the floor, people were falling off of tables and we were all dancing arm in arm with our new German friends. It was quite an experience.

Meet Molly and Kevin



Oh and (hide your face in shame Mom) I had to partake in the Oktoberfest tradition of standing on your bench and chugging your Liter...I killed my Ring Dunking time :)



More pics are on my shutterfly site at lwaterfield.shutterfly.com

In the words of Heidi Klum, Auf Wiedersehen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, Mom is going to pretend that she did not read this chapter of your blog! Your shutterfly pictures, however, are wonderful. How about some captions to tell us what we are seeing???

Christina said...

Oh Lauren! I love that video, hilarious! Sounds like a great vacation! Miss you!

Lindsay Wagner said...

oh my word....that first pic of you is classic!!! :)